Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Just try to stop us from working!

I've been thinking a lot about the nature of my job and how much it defines me. First, my title includes the word "manager"--although, as you might guess by the fact I'm on the picket line--I'm a union member. Lately I've been asking myself, is the job title just what I do when I'm at work (although maybe this should be in the past tense: "did when I was at work"), or am I really just a manager/supervisor type all the time?

The funny thing is that during the first couple weeks of the strike I was more than happy not to be in charge of anything. I interpreted not working as not managing anything or anyone. And it's great to see different people getting a chance to do different (and important) things, whether it's part-time library assistants taking charge as picket captains or the various workers getting inspired to use their time on the line to help others. (Some have even donated their strike pay to our local's hardship fund. Wow.)

But late last week, I started getting really twitchy. While I know replicating the structures of the library system would be a bit silly during the strike, I started to see opportunities for better communication, for less duplication of work, for division of labour, for collaboration, and all kinds of other things I would be looking out for if I was at work. And not only that, but I had to take it further and button-hole every picket captain and executive member I came across, offering up my (and--I must admit it!--other people's) services.

Okay, so I'm addicted to what I do, and I can't stop myself. (Which--let's face it--is probably why I ended up with the job I have.) But I notice that around now a lot of us are doing the same thing. A children's librarian I really admire is getting some child care organised. An bright and energetic librarian with excellent technical skills is putting together electronic resources. A fellow supervisor (another "manager", in quotes) is coming up with ideas for sharing workers around the different locations. And a nearby little gang of picketers today got very caught up in a discussion of--get this--fiction classification!

We love what we do. Just try to stop us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It makes you sort of sad to think about how much we could have accomplished at work during the past month with all that energy and dedication...

One thing I do hope is that this new knowledge we're gaining on the picket line won't be forgotten once the strike is over. That we'll remember things like the skills we saw people using that we didn't know they had, and we'll hold onto the new connections that have been forged between people who otherwise might never have crossed paths. On the picket lines the typical organizational barriers (like location and classification) are gone, and it completely changes both the nature of people's interactions and the way they approach the various challenges and crises that arise. I believe that this creates a real opportunity for us to take something new and valuable back to the workplace once all of this is over.

Hmmm. Perhaps you and Lisa might be free for lunch sometime soon?

picketlinelibrarian said...

I agree completely! To lunch too.