Friday, August 3, 2007

Thoughts of the change of seasons; and Things I've discovered I can't really do on a picket line

The weather has been eerily good since the strike started, uncharacteristically hot and sunny for these parts. Until today, that is, when the temperature dropped around ten degrees and there were actually a few spatters of rain. Fortunately for us at the library where I've spent four days this week, the overhangs that have been sheltering us from the sun did a good job for the rain too. Unlike our neighbours, the clever and very well-organised community centre picketers, we don't have plastic coverings for our picket signs (let alone the sleepingbags and barbeques that they bring along). If we're still out when the rainy season comes, we'll have to get a lot more serious.

Of course in a way we are getting more serious already. There was more bitter talk today about the state of the bargaining process. And today--for the first time since the strike began--I got caught up in a philosophical discussion about the library's priorities and recent policy decisions. For a few minutes I found myself thinking the way I did back when I was employed: how could I apply these new ideas? how could I solve this new problem? how could I integrate this new information? But that moment of mental engagement passed quickly as I realised that I can't imagine when I'll be back at work. And so I slid back into the vague state of agitated fuzzyheadedness that is increasing as we spend more time on the picket line. Thank goodness a friend brought some copies of Nylon magazine!


Things I've discovered I can't really do on a picket line:

1. Read anything more intellectually demanding than a trashy magazine article.

2. Have too much fun. ('Cause after all we're on strike.)

3. Look stylish. (Not that I've really tried. Yet.) See also # 6.

4. Concentrate on a French placement test over the phone. (Yes, that happened today too.)

5. Accomplish anything that requires sustained thought. See also # 7.

6. Wear good-looking shoes.

7. Write.

8. Remain convinced that I've chosen the right profession.

9. Scowl. Even at people who seem determined to cross.

10. Stop thinking about work.


This blog will be taking the weekend off! See you next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Other things I've found I can't do on the picket line:

1) Stop drinking coffee

2) Eat healthy food (I swear I've put on five pounds from the picket line donut diet)

3) Not drive myself crazy wondering what's going on in that undisclosed location where the bargaining talks are taking place

4) (When at Central) Go more than a minute or two without looking mournfully up at the Level 5 windows

5) (When at Central) Go more than an hour without checking the headlines on my PDA

6) (When at Kits) Go more than an hour without checking my PDA to see if a wireless connection has magically appeared, even though I know perfectly well there isn't one in the area

7) Stop thinking about how much I miss my job

I hope you're having a fantastic weekend off. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that in that undisclosed location somewhere in the city, talks are going well.

Anonymous said...

Well said.